Russell Targ (b. April 11, 1924 in Chicaco, Illinois) is a physicist and author, a pioneer in the development of the laser and laser applications, and a former researcher at the Stanford Research Institute (SRI), where he investigated psychic abilities with Harold E. Puthoff from 1972 to 1982. His work on remote viewing was published in Nature , The Proceedings of the Institute of Electronic and Electrical Engineers (IEEE) and the Proceedings of the American Association the Advancement of Science (AAAS) published.
Targ holds a bachelor’s degree in physics from Queen’s College and a graduate degree in physics from Columbia University. He received two awards from the National Aeronautics and Space Administration for inventions and contributions to lasers and laser communications. In 1983 and 1984, he accepted invitations to present remote viewing demonstrations and to speak about this research in front of the USSR Academy of Sciences.
He is the author or co-author of nine books dealing with the scientific investigation of psychic abilities and Buddhist approaches to transforming consciousness, one of which is also an autobiography (Do You See What I See: Memoirs of a Blind Biker).
Targ joined the Stanford Research Institute (SRI) in 1972 where, along with Harold Puthoff and Ingo Swann, he conducted the basic research for what would become the Coordinate Remote Viewing protocol. He later worked with Puthoff on the US Defense Intelligence Agency’s STAR GATE project.
As a senior scientist at Lockheed Missiles and Space Company, Targ developed airborne laser systems to detect gusts of wind and air turbulence. After retiring in 1997, he continues to write books on psychological research and teach remote viewing worldwide.
- 11.04.1934 born in Chicago, Illinois
- study at Queens College, NY (B.Sc., Physik, 1954)
- graduate study in physics at Columbia University
- 1960s – senior physicist (plasma and microwaves) at Technical Research Group, Syosset, Long Island, New York
- 1972 joined the project at SRI
- 1982 Targ left SRI together with Uri Geller in 1982 to become partners in Delphi Associates, which attempted to use psychic phenomena for commercial purposes, including predictions of changes in silver prices.
- In 1983 and 1984 presentations on Remote Viewing and travels to the USSR.
- president of Bay Research Institute
- staff scientist at Lockheed Missiles and Space Company (Research and Development)
- 1997 retirement
- PSI: The world is different from what it seems (2013)
- The Reality of ESP: A Physicist’s Proof of Psychic Abilities (2012) Quest Books
- Do You See What I See ?: Memoirs of a Blind Biker (2008) Hampton Roads
- The End of Suffering: Fearless Living in Troubled Times (2006, with JJ Hurtak) Hampton Roads
- Limitless Mind: A Guide to Remote Viewing and Transformation of Consciousness (2004) New World Library
- The Heart of the Mind: How to Experience God Without Belief (1999, with Jane Katra) New World Library
- Miracles of Mind: Exploring Nonlocal Consciousness and Spiritual Healing. (1998, with Jane Katra) New World Library
- The Mind Race: Understanding and Using Psychic Abilities. (1984, with Keith Harary) Villard, Best Seller list
- Mind at Large: Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers: Symposium on the Nature of Extrasensory Perception (1979, 2002 with Charles Tart and Harold Puthoff), Praeger
- Mind Reach: Scientists Look at Psychic Ability (1977, 2005 with Harold Puthoff) Delacorte
Controversial TEDTalk about Psychic Abilities | Russell Targ (2013)